Bela Lugosi’s second Los Angeles residence was the Hollywood Athletic Club.
The Hollywood Athletic Club was built in 1924 by LA architectural firm Meyer & Holler, which also built notable Hollywood buildings Grauman’s Chinese Theatre and Grauman’s Egyptian Theatre.
When the building first appeared in 1924, it was the tallest building in Hollywood. Its members included many of Hollywood’s elite, such as Humphrey Bogart, Errol Flynn, Joan Crawford, Jean Harlow, Clark Gable, and Larry “Buster” Crabbe. The cost of membership was $150, plus $10 a month for member dues.
Lugosi is reported to have lived at the Club off and on during the late 1920’s and early 1930’s. His residency at the Club coincided with several significant events in his career and personal life.
Lugosi was living at the Club in 1930 when he signed his contract with Universal Pictures. The completed script for Dracula was delivered to Lugosi at the Club on September 26, 1930.
Additionally, newlyweds Lugosi and Lillian Arch returned to Lugosi’s residence at the Club after eloping and marrying in Las Vegas on January 31, 1933.
Through the years, the Hollywood Athletic Club has taken on a wide range of identities, including the University of Judaism and the Berwin Entertainment Complex.
Currently, the building houses a nightclub. It is located at 6525 Sunset Boulevard.